What is a good night guard for grinding teeth? Upper or lower?

Dr. Joel Doyon
Dentistry - Cosmetic
In brief: Dentist made
The best brux guard is fabricated by a dentist and either on the top or bottom jaws are equally effective.
However, if you have pain during the day from clenching, then a bottom brux guard can be worn with minimal speech impediments.

In brief: Dentist made
Dr. Joel Doyon
Dr. Joel Doyon
Dr. Paul Grin
Pain Management
In brief: Custom made
These night guards, which are custom fit to the specifics of a problem, are used to help support and protect painful TMJ.
Over the counter devices sold in pharmacies and online are for the most part inadequate, as they are often too thick, poorly retentive, and inadequately cover all of the teeth.

In brief: Custom made
Dr. Paul Grin
Dr. Paul Grin
In brief: Both are good
Night guards can be fabricated on the top or on the bottom. Most dentists have their own personal preference, but both will help protect your teeth from the excessive wear of grinding.

In brief: Both are good
Dr. Michael Montgomery
Dr. Michael Montgomery
Dr. Gary Sandler
Dentistry
In brief: Night guards
That's an excellent question and it would appear that such a simple question has a simple answer. While most patients think a generic store or internet bought one will serve the same purpose as a professionally made one, that is not the case! even some dentists make one without enough thought as to what is best.
It actually requires some thought based upon each individual's specific circumstances.

In brief: Night guards
Dr. Gary Sandler
Dr. Gary Sandler
Dr. Aaron Cook
Dentistry
In brief: Either
Whichever is more comfortable to you should work fine.
..I've made both for my patients..Only one at a time though in most people. Your dentist will be able to recommend top or bottom by looking at your teeth arches to see which is better suited to support a nightguard.

In brief: Either
Dr. Aaron Cook
Dr. Aaron Cook
Dr. Arthur Heller
Internal Medicine - Gastroenterology
In brief: C ur DDS or ENT
Depends on the problem. Discuss with your dentist, oral surgeon, or ENT doc.

In brief: C ur DDS or ENT
Dr. Arthur Heller
Dr. Arthur Heller
Dr. Steven Seres