Been having vaginal bleeding for 27 days straight what can be the cause? Im on birth control, pregnancy test negative, waiting on sonogram results

Dr. Susan Arnoult

In brief: Hormonal abnormality

The causes of dysfunctional uterine bleeding are either hormonal or structural (like a fibroid).
At your age I would strongly suspect a hormonal problem and not a fibroid. The ultrasound will rule out (or in) the structural abnormality. Do you have PCOS? If the ultrasound is normal your doctor will likely run multiple tests to determine what the hormonal problem is.

In brief: Hormonal abnormality

Dr. Susan Arnoult
Dr. Susan Arnoult

In brief: Stop OC

Stop OC for 3 dYs and start again.
If this doesn't resolve then go get an exam to see wether there is some genital infection or lesion causing the problem

In brief: Stop OC

Stop OC for 3 dYs and start again.
Dr. Claudette Anderson
Dr. Claudette Anderson
Dr. Jane Van Dis