Is it unusual to not have a fine needle biopsy of breast before surgery?

Yes (sort of) Under most circumstances we prefer to have a definitive diagnosis before going to surgery. The trend these days are to perform a core-needle biopsy rather than a fine-needle biopsy; the former provides tissue for definitive dx; the latter is like a pap smear, and is less sensitive. Having performed hundreds of both of these techniques in my career, both are equally well-tolerated w/local anesth.
FNA or core biopsy. Core biopsy (14g or larger) of the breast is more common than fna (18g or smaller). The former retrieves tissue samples that provide some architectural and other information. Today, a needle biopsy should almost always be done prior to surgery. One should have a diagnosis before surgery not be making one in surgery. That way, necessary info is obtained 1st and proper surgery planned.
No. Not a fine needle biopsy, but a core biopsy is usually performed prior to surgery on lesions visible on imaging studies. A specific preoperative diagnosis, if benign, eliminates unnecessary surgery, and if malignant, allows for proactive treatment planning and a more definitive surgical procedure, eliminating a potential second surgery.
Yes. A needle biopsy should be performed prior to surgery. This can be done with a core needle or a fine needle in an office setting. The procedure takes less than 15 minutes. A diagnosis can be made and will allow proper planning for the surgery. Skipping this step causes scarring and more tissue is removed than may be necessary. If biopsy shows a non-cancerous mass, then surgery may be avoided.