Is it better for my baby to suck his thumb or a pacifier?

Thumbs rarely detach and get lost and are much easier to clean.
Regular cleaning of pacifiers and making sure they don't have cracks where yeast can settle is important if you use them. There is a lot of controversy re the benefit/risk of pacifier use and breastfeeding initiation, ear infections and sids risk. My preference is keep things simple and pacifier free.

Dr. Pierrette Mimi Poinsett
Dr. Pierrette Mimi Poinsett
Dr. Johanna Fricke
Not to mention that a pacifier becomes a sleep association by age 5-6 months. If he night wakes after 6 months, he can settle himself back to sleep so it won't become a habit EXCEPT if the parents go in to his room to retrieve a pacifier & give it to him. Then there are the moms who lick pacifiers & share cavity-causing germs. I haven't seen a mom lick her baby's thumb, then stick it in his mouth.
Dr. Michael Pappas
In brief: No
What's the difference? Babies just want to be "pacified" or feel peaceful.
If they use a pacifier or their thumb/fingers, they are achieving the same thing...Peace. Is it more dangerous to use a thumb or pacifier? No. It's not up to us anyway...It's up to them. Why fight it? We all need peace.

In brief: No
Dr. Michael Pappas
Dr. Michael Pappas
Dr. Carla Enriquez
In brief: Thumb is natural.
Using a pacifier involves an adult to provide it.
That makes it a controlling habit. Pacifier use can impede language development. Thumb sucking rarely does. Let nature rule!

In brief: Thumb is natural.
Dr. Carla Enriquez
Dr. Carla Enriquez
Dr. Charlene Sojico
In brief: To simply answer
Your question, pacifier is better if you are concerned about the effect of thumb sucking on your baby's teeth.

In brief: To simply answer
Dr. Charlene Sojico
Dr. Charlene Sojico
Dr. Carla Enriquez
Chronic pacifier use can impede language development and has similar effect on teeth protrusion.
Dr. Cindy Juster