My 14 year old daughter is being treated for a sprained knee but her feet and lower leg are ice cold. Should I ask for sonogram to rule out dvt?

Mike Moore

In brief: Great question!

That really is a good question.
In general, dvt's will not cause a cold foot, but there are other things that can happen to an injured leg that would cause it to be cold. If you have any question about your daughter's treatment you should take her back, also, if her foot/leg is cold, pale, very painful, numb, and/or she can't walk on it, she should be seen immediately as it may be serious!

In brief: Great question!

That really is a good question.
Mike Moore
Mike Moore
Answer assisted by Mike Moore, Medical Student
Dr. Erin Robertson
General Practice

In brief: Time for eval now

If the sprain is severe, there may be a rare outside chance that there is persistent joint instability with internal derangement somehow causing pressure on vasculature affecting *arterial* perfusion, not venous drainage like DVT.
Time to go to ER. Check for pulse strength; should be equal to other foot. Dorsal pedalis felt on top of foot; posterior tibialis behind medial malleolus. Keep leg warm.

In brief: Time for eval now

Dr. Erin Robertson
Dr. Erin Robertson
Dr. Ted King
Phlebology

In brief: Probably not

I agree with dr. Carter, that is a good question.
Fortunately, it sounds like the risk of a DVT is very low. Pain and swelling, more than being ice cold, would be the things that you would really want to watch for. Again, if you have concerns, you should take your daughter to be seen by a physician.

In brief: Probably not

Dr. Ted King
Dr. Ted King
Dr. Shontae Buffington