Can ulcerative colitis cause back pain?

Yes. Some time back pain is the first sign of ulcerative colitis which it is auto immune disease could effect the joint between the vertebra..
It sure can. Organs are controlled by nerve fibers that come from the spinal cord. When the organs are having problems, there are (in essence) "feed-back signals" sent back through the nerve fibers which can muscle tightness and pain in the muscles along the spine. In medical parlance, we call this a viscero-somatic reflex. Dos find this very useful in diagnosing lots of stuff.