I had blood drawn from my arm and now my arm and elbow is bruised and discolored.. Should I be alarmed?

Dr. Joshua Batt
Emergency Medicine

In brief: Possibly

Unfortunately, bruising after phlebotomy is a common side effect especially if you are on blood thinners.
If the bruising continues to spread, becomes excessively painful, swells, becomes red & hot, a visit to your doctor is indicated.

In brief: Possibly

Dr. Joshua Batt
Dr. Joshua Batt

In brief: No

Unless the area of bruising continues to expand, you don't need to worry.
It's not unusual for there to be some bruising after having blood drawn, particularly if it was a difficult stick. It will heal just like any other bruise.

In brief: No

Dr. Kitturah Schomberg-Klaiss
Dr. Kitturah Schomberg-Klaiss
Dr. Michael Korona
Radiology - Interventional

In brief: No

Just blood under the skin. It will go away.

In brief: No

Dr. Michael Korona
Dr. Michael Korona