Can an enlarged column of bertin cause pain ?

Dr. Gerald Mandell
Nuclear Medicine
In brief: Normal variant
Column of bertin is normal variation of renal develoepment representing prominentt cortex where segments of kidneys have fused.
The enlargement of the renal olumns is most common at the in the mid portion of kidney.. This is a benign condition sometimes mistaken for a renal tumor. No symptoms have been associated with this variant.

In brief: Normal variant
Dr. Gerald Mandell
Dr. Gerald Mandell
Dr. Rajesh Boorgu
Internal Medicine - Nephrology & Dialysis
In brief: Very unlikely
This finding is considered a normal variant.
I am not aware of any time that this has caused pain in any of my patients.

In brief: Very unlikely
Dr. Rajesh Boorgu
Dr. Rajesh Boorgu
Dr. George Klauber
Pediatrics - Urology
In brief: No reason is normal
However, you must have had a kidney ultrasound or ct scan of the kidney to discover cause of kidney pain.
Hypercalcuria, where calcium crystals can obstruct the intr-renal collecting tubules, can cause kidney pain without being seen radiologically. Urinanalysis might demonstrate microhematuria or abnormal calcium/creatinine ratio.

In brief: No reason is normal
Dr. George Klauber
Dr. George Klauber
Dr. Arnon Rubin