How contagious is croup? My 2 yr old and 4 mo old were around child yesterday who was diagnosed last night. What should I look out for?

Dr. Yash Khanna

In brief: Croup

Look for barking cough, hoarseness and noisy breathing called stridor.Symptoms may be mild to moderate and get worse at night.
It is contagious and caused by a virus and is self limiting and can be treated with steroids and in severe cases Epinephrine as well, children with sever cruip may need hospitalisation.

In brief: Croup

Dr. Yash Khanna
Dr. Yash Khanna
Dr. Jason Adler
Pediatrics - Critical Care

In brief: Croup

Croup is a respiratory viral illness that produces a cough that characteristically sounds like a seal barking.
This is related to swelling produced in the upper airway. Patient may also develop a condition called stridor which is noise produced on breathing in (or out). You should observe for stridor, cough, fever, and labored breathing.

In brief: Croup

Dr. Jason Adler
Dr. Jason Adler
Dr. Cindy Juster