Does smoking marijuana affect a womans chances of getting pregnant? My wife smokes ciggarettes a lot and smokes a blunt or 2 everyday

Dr. Gerard Honore
Fertility Medicine

In brief: Likely so

Like tobacco it depends some on how much you use.
Cigarettes are thought to reduce fertility by about 15% per-cycle . Marijuana has many more combustion byproducts than tobacco, so it's reasonable to believe it's at least as harmful.

In brief: Likely so

Dr. Gerard Honore
Dr. Gerard Honore
Dr. Leto Quarles

In brief: Cigarettes are worse

Marijuana may decrease fertility (and a blunt or 2 every day is quite a lot), but tobacco cigarettes are proven for sure to cause many pregnancy complications, basically by reducing the blood supply and nutrition which can get to a growing fetus (baby).
My advice would be to stop smoking cigarettes and start taking prenatal vitamins before trying to get pregnant, and also decrease marijuana.

In brief: Cigarettes are worse

Dr. Leto Quarles
Dr. Leto Quarles
Dr. Aaron Milstone
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Pulmonology