I feel like I gain 5- 10 pounds if I go off my water pills. I got these from a diet doctor. If I run out my hands and feet and whole body swell up pai?

Dr. Cynthia Thaik
Internal Medicine - Cardiology
In brief: Too much sodium
You should not depend on a diuretic as a form of weight management.
If you easily gain water weight off diuretics, that tells me that you have a high consumption of either sodium or carbohydrates and that the body needs to get rid of excess sodium. Restrict your sodium and carbohydrate as a means to control water retention rather than relying on a diuretic.

In brief: Too much sodium
Dr. Cynthia Thaik
Dr. Cynthia Thaik
Dr. Leto Quarles
In brief: Swelling= H2O + salt
Without the pills, you are retaining extra water weight.
This can be from too much salt, or a medical problem with your heart, kidneys, circulation or hormones causing you to retain extra water, or your body has become dependent on the water pills, and when you stop taking them your body "forgets" how to get rid of extra fluid. Either way, you should be evaluated by a primary care doctor.

In brief: Swelling= H2O + salt
Dr. Leto Quarles
Dr. Leto Quarles
Dr. Tonga Nfor
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Cardiology