I have ehlers-danlos syndrome hypermobility type. My arches collapse, ankles roll in and knees go backwards. Could AFOs help stabilize my bendy joints?

Dr. Lori Semel

There are many people afflicted with ehlers danlos who speak highly of smo (short afo for feet) and other afo to help stabilize.
These are costly and a long project but certainly worth going to an orthotist to look in to.

Dr. Lori Semel
Dr. Lori Semel
Dr. Jeffrey Wilkins
Physical & Rehabilitation Medicine

In brief: Braces

An AFO will provide improved ankle stability but can increase knee strain if not fit right.
Recurrent ankle sprains damages nerves in the ankle that provide feedback to the brain and lead to more sprains. Exercises on a Baps board or bosu ball can help strengthen the supporting muscles of the ankle and improve stability.

In brief: Braces

Dr. Jeffrey Wilkins
Dr. Jeffrey Wilkins