My abdominal muscles separated with my last pregnancy and even while not pg I looked pg. How is this fixed and can it cause problems with future preg?

Dr. Jeff Livingston

In brief: Diastasis recti

This is called diastasis recti.
The two bellies or the rectus muscle separate creating a space. A plastic surgeon or some general surgeons can fix this for you. In most cases it is best to hold off on repair until you are finished having children so that it does not recur. Having it does not increase risk on future pregnancies.

In brief: Diastasis recti

This is called diastasis recti.
Dr. Jeff Livingston
Dr. Jeff Livingston
Dr. Wayne Ingram

In brief: Surgery fix

The anterior rectus muscles in your abdomen that run between the breastbone and pubic bone have seperated laterally allowing the "bulge" to occur. After you have completed your childbearing, a gyn surgeon can repair the "defect".
It will not affect pregnancies when it is not yet repaired but you may need an abdominal support garment during the pregnancy.

In brief: Surgery fix

Dr. Wayne Ingram
Dr. Wayne Ingram
Dr. Adam Levy