My brother was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis last year and now he has mood swings and is depressed and blames the disease on my mom. What to do?

Dr. Henry Ng
Internal Medicine & Pediatrics

In brief: See health provider

Feelings of anger, denial, and depression can occur after learning you have a chronic health condition.
The good news is that there are many treatments for ulcerative colitis and a gastroenterologist can help with the appropriate treatment. Seeing a counselor or psychologist for those having difficulty with adjusting to the diagnosis may also be helpful. Good luck.

In brief: See health provider

Dr. Henry Ng
Dr. Henry Ng
Dr. Eric Kaplan
Surgery - Colorectal

In brief: Get help

For your brother. If he is on steeroids, that may contribute to his mood changes.
He needs to get in touch with a psychologist or psychiatrist and also needs to discuss his situation with the doc managing his colitis meds. He can be helped. Be persistent.

In brief: Get help

Dr. Eric Kaplan
Dr. Eric Kaplan
Dr. Buck Parker
Board Certified, Surgery