My brother was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis last year and now he has mood swings and is depressed and blames the disease on my mom. What to do?

Dr. Henry Ng
Internal Medicine & Pediatrics
In brief: See health provider
Feelings of anger, denial, and depression can occur after learning you have a chronic health condition.
The good news is that there are many treatments for ulcerative colitis and a gastroenterologist can help with the appropriate treatment. Seeing a counselor or psychologist for those having difficulty with adjusting to the diagnosis may also be helpful. Good luck.

In brief: See health provider
Dr. Henry Ng
Dr. Henry Ng
Dr. Eric Kaplan
Surgery - Colorectal
In brief: Get help
For your brother. If he is on steeroids, that may contribute to his mood changes.
He needs to get in touch with a psychologist or psychiatrist and also needs to discuss his situation with the doc managing his colitis meds. He can be helped. Be persistent.

In brief: Get help
Dr. Eric Kaplan
Dr. Eric Kaplan
Dr. Crystal Twynham
Board Certified, Surgery