Does my dad have to have fever in order to have the stomach flu?

No. Fever may occur, but is not always there with stomach infections.
Not necessarily. Gastroenteritis symptoms may include: diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, abdominal cramps/pain, headaches, muscular aches & pains as well as fever (low grade). Bloody stools are not usually associated with gastroenteritis. According to the CDC, viral gastroenteritis usually has a duration of 1 to 10 days (depending on the specific virus). The average is 1 to 3 days.