How do I know for sure that I have fibroids?

Dr. Denise Elser
Gynecology
In brief: Pelvic ultrasound
If you are thin, and your fibroids are large enough, then your physician may be fairly sure after an exam that a woman has fibroids.
However, the best test to confirm that fibroids are present is a pelvic ultrasound. Sometimes MRI is performed to determine the exact number, size and position of fibroids if uterine surgery is planned. Fibroids can also be diagnosed during surgery.

In brief: Pelvic ultrasound
Dr. Denise Elser
Dr. Denise Elser
Dr. Kenan Omurtag
In brief: Speak to your
Gynecologist first.
A pelvic ultrasound is a helpful imaging tool but not really indicated unless you are having abdominal pain and cramping and/or heavy menses. Also a pelvic exam by your gynecologist may suggest an enlarged or abnormally shaped uterus that would prompt an us.

In brief: Speak to your
Gynecologist first.
Dr. Kenan Omurtag
Dr. Kenan Omurtag
Dr. Jane Van Dis