My 5 mo has a watery eye with yellow gunk. He is going to the dr ASAP. However, other moms tell me to put breastmilk in his eye. What's up with that?

In brief: Myth

There are some pro breast feeder types that will say it fixes anything.
I say it makes a mess and can further irritate the kids eye.BM is designed for one thing that it does well and that is what it should be reserved for.

In brief: Myth

Dr. Jalal Zuberi

In brief: Anecdotal evidence

Pro your baby has allergic reaction or conjunctivitis in the eye.
It could be a viral infection depending if he was exposed to infected people recently. There is only anecdotal evidence for any benefit of breast milk (BM) in clearing such eye ailment in the infant. The theory is that the BM is high in immunoglobulins to fight infection. You can wait for your pediatrician to see your baby tomorrow

In brief: Anecdotal evidence

Dr. Lori Semel

In brief: Eye woes

The yellow tear is probably a drop of pus from a blocked tear duct (lacrimal duct).
Massage under her eye from nasal edge out and wipe out same way with warm moist cotton ball. This is common and usually resolves within 9 months. Do this several times a day. There are some who say that breast milk does help to clear this.

In brief: Eye woes

Dr. Dennis Higginbotham