Who should take glucosamine and at what age ? I am 61 yes should I take it

Dr. William Lages
Internal Medicine - Rheumatology

In brief: Controversial

There are no studies that prove glucosamine is beneficial in arthritis.
On the other hand most studies have focused on one joint, particularly the knee. It,s not harmful but I wouldn't,t recommend it or not based on current studies in humans.

In brief: Controversial

Dr. William Lages
Dr. William Lages
Dr. Dean Giannone

The combination of glucosamine and chondroitin has been shown in studies to (1) provide a degree of pain relief in the short term, and (2) trigger growth of new cartilage when taken for at least two years straight.
So it can help you pain and reverse some of the chronic damage. You can find this in the health food store. MSM is not necessary and adds to the cost of the product.

Dr. Dean Giannone
Dr. Dean Giannone