Had carpal release surgery. BUT now my pinky up to my elbow is extremely painful. Did carpal tunnel surgery not help? Why am I still in pain?

Dr. Jack Choueka
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: Cubital tunnel

Numbness in the pinky and ring fingers indicates a nerve compression higher up in the arm most likely from the elbow.
Carpal tunnel surgery addresses the nerve that gives sensation to the thumb index and middle fingers. Cubital tunnel syndrome causes compression to the ulnar nerve at the elbow and can lead to numbness and pain in the pinky. Am examination and nerve tests are needed to confirm

In brief: Cubital tunnel

Dr. Jack Choueka
Dr. Jack Choueka
Dr. Joe Lee
Physical & Rehabilitation Medicine

In brief: Elbow to pinky pain

You may have a problem with a different nerve that does not involve the carpal tunnel.
The carpal tunnel is in the wrist area. You have to be seen and might need additional testing including the elbow region.

In brief: Elbow to pinky pain

Dr. Joe Lee
Dr. Joe Lee