I have a UTI but I'm allergic to Motrin, can I still take Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim) DS?

Dr. Al Hegab
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology

In brief: Generally, yes

I'm not known of motrin and Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim) cross- sensitivity, your Doctor did prescribe it anyways, and should be safe,any serious reaction would appear in the first hour after the first pill, go to any ER/Urgent care waiting area and have the first dose, wait for an hour, if no reaction go home and continue the rest of your treatment, if any reaction occurs, you are in the very place you want to be

In brief: Generally, yes

Dr. Dennis Higginbotham