Is lack of motivation common sign of depression?

Not just depression. Depression can cause lack of motivation, but there are many other possibilities. Lack of motivation is also a common sign of many other happenings. This is because motivation is a complex and fragile thing. It is subject to a long list of both internal and external forces. Values, belief, as well as previous life experiences all play significant roles.
Can be. Lack of motivation does occur in major depression mainly resulting from low energy, inability to enjoy anything, and depressed mood. Lack of motivation by itself is not major depression.