8 yrs ago,I was on lantus (insulin glargine) then cuz of exer and diet.. switched to metformin. Now I m back on lantus (insulin glargine).i have gained 8 kg in 1 month.Is it lantus (insulin glargine) doin?

Dr. Thomas Knecht
Internal Medicine - Endocrinology

In brief: Insulin, weight gain

Hi. That's not uncommon.
When type 2 diabetes is out of control, the body is in a more catabolic state and many calories leave the body unused in the form of glucose in the urine. Insulin is an anabolic hormone (favors building things up and storing energy as fat and glycogen), and lessens/eliminates loss of calories via urine. That translates to weight gain. Any hypoglycemia is treated with sugar

In brief: Insulin, weight gain

Hi. That's not uncommon.
Dr. Thomas Knecht
Dr. Thomas Knecht
Dr. Andrea Brand