Are adolescence and adults able to get adhd?

Dr. Janet Greenhut
Preventive Medicine

In brief: Starts in childhood

People may get diagnosed with adhd during adolescence or adulthood, but symptoms should have been present since childhood.
Adhd does not make a first appearance in older children or adults.

In brief: Starts in childhood

Dr. Janet Greenhut
Dr. Janet Greenhut
Dr. Johanna Fricke
Pediatrics - Developmental & Behavioral

In brief: I agree

Till the new criteria come out in the dsm-v, the symptoms have to have started before age 7; it will change to before age 10.
I've seen many teens and adults ( parents of my patients) who realized that they had adhd after a family member was diagnosed, especially if they had primarily inattentive type and the " halo effect" of being smart enough to do well without much effort, up to a point.

In brief: I agree

Dr. Johanna Fricke
Dr. Johanna Fricke
Dr. William Singer
Pediatrics - Neurology

In brief: Usually born with it

Generally children are born with ADHD.
As a result of traumatic brain injury or brain infection, children and adults can develop ADHD. Adults who have not experienced either brain trauma or infection can onlly have ADHD if they had the symptoms as a child.

In brief: Usually born with it

Generally children are born with ADHD.
Dr. William Singer
Dr. William Singer
Dr. Robert Marvit

In brief: Yes but

This is not a communicable disease.
It may get picked up later in life even though present earlier.

In brief: Yes but

This is not a communicable disease.
Dr. Robert Marvit
Dr. Robert Marvit