I just got prescribed amox-clav for a sinus infection. I forgot that I have a birthday party to go to tonight. Is it okay to drink alcohol while on this? Will it hinder the effectiveness of the drug? Thanks!

Dr. Michael Perez

In brief: No

While it is a good idea to avoid alcohol when you are taking any medication, there is no expected interaction with amoxicillin/clavulanate.

In brief: No

Dr. Michael Perez
Dr. Michael Perez
Dr. James Burns
Emergency Medicine

In brief: In reality

I think it will be ok so far as the antibiotic goes, but too much alcohol can create its own set of dangers outside of interfering with the antibiotic.

In brief: In reality

Dr. James Burns
Dr. James Burns
Dr. Philip Miller

In brief: Not OK

Bad interaction and alcohol could possibly weaken the antibiotic efficacy.
Drink soda

In brief: Not OK

Drink soda
Dr. Philip Miller
Dr. Philip Miller
Dr. Stephen Rothstein
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery

In brief: Sinus

Generally you should not drink within an hour or two of the antibiotic as it may make the drug less effective and also upset your stomach

In brief: Sinus

Dr. Stephen Rothstein
Dr. Stephen Rothstein

In brief: Avoid if possible

In general alcohol and medications are not compatible partners , some medications are altered , or rate of absorption is changed , that will compromise therapeutic goals , still you can have good time in the party with out drinking alcohol .

In brief: Avoid if possible

Dr. Addagada Rao
Dr. Addagada Rao
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine