Fell 2/14 direct blow to knee. MRI chondromalacia. Hurts constantly with no relief. Bwc thinks preexisting. If let go will it get better/worse. ?

Dr. Raymond Schneider

In brief: It doesn't tend to get better easily.

I suggest you use a patellar support knee brace.
Get some proper instruction on quadricep exercises. You want to avoid going up and down stairs. If you do need to go up and down stairs lead with the good leg. Avoid squatting and deep knee bends. Consider over-the-counter nonsteroidal medication such as Advil or Aleve (naproxen). If after a period of eight weeks you're still having a lot of symptoms you may consider seeing an orthopedic surgeon.

Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine