Am I more likely to get lichen sclerosis if I have gone through menopause?

Dr. Lisa Lepine
Gynecology

In brief: Possibly

Lichen sclerosus is a skin disorder that occurs much more frequently in women than in men.
It tends to occur most commonly when estrogen levels are low. Menopause is a time when estrogen levels decline. Fortunately, lichen sclerosus can be effectively managed using clobetasol, which is a steroid ointment. It is used sparingly during flares.

In brief: Possibly

Dr. Lisa Lepine
Dr. Lisa Lepine
Dr. Timothy Raichle

Lichen sclerosis can occur at any age but is seen most often in prepubertal girls and perimenopausal or postmenopausal women.
While it is poorly understood, these are times in womens lives when estrogen levels are lower, contributing to the theory that there is some hormonal mediation of the problem. I hope this helps and good luck!

Dr. Timothy Raichle
Dr. Timothy Raichle
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham