How can you stop flashbacks?

Dr. Missid Ghanem
Clinical Psychology

In brief: Psychotherapy

Flashbacks are your psyche's way of communicating to you that it is having difficulty integrating that specific memory in a comfortable/ sensible way.
Flashbacks are very common reactions to traumatic experiences. Psychotherapy can help! most therapists have experience helping people heal from traumatic experiences. The process is safe and confidential.

In brief: Psychotherapy

Dr. Missid Ghanem
Dr. Missid Ghanem
Dr. Sherry Broadwell
Clinical Psychology

In brief: Helpful workbook

In addition to working with a trauma specialist, consider the PTSD Workbook by Mary Beth Williams.
This book includes a chapter, with exercises, on helping yourself when you re-experience a trauma. One basic strategy is to ground yourself in the present moment holding onto a safe object, name objects in your environment, clap your hands, stomp your feet, splash your face with cold water.

In brief: Helpful workbook

Dr. Sherry Broadwell
Dr. Sherry Broadwell
Dr. Sherry Broadwell
Other simple grounding techniques include touching objects around you and describing them in detail (color, texture, shape, e.g., "I am sitting on a brown chair and the fabric is soft; my feet are on the floor; I am in this room whe.re the carpet is worn...., etc). I sometimes have people keep an orange in the freezer to hold when a flashback hits as this can bring awareness back to the present
Dr. William Forsythe