Would sciatica cause tingling and no feeling in one leg very suddenly? Also have a large swelling on the base of my back either side of my spine.

Dr. Moshe Lewis
Physical & Rehabilitation Medicine

In brief: Absolutely

This certainly could be sciatica so you should get it checked out straightaway as you have an excellent health care system that lets you get treated easily.
A pinched nerve which provides muscles w/the info to move can cause tingling & numbness as you describe.The swelling should also be evaluated by a spine specialist. Imaging,Meds & PT are likely to be used to help you feel better.Keep us posted.

In brief: Absolutely

Dr. Eric Weisman