Why don't some people believe that fibromyalgia is real?

Dr. Alan Ali
In brief: Fibromyalgia
People want to know cause-effect of an illness, such as high sugar-diabetes, so as to avoid being labeled hypochondriac or settling for unexplained phenomena, especially chronic ones.

In brief: Fibromyalgia
Dr. Alan Ali
Dr. Alan Ali
Dr. Thomas Namey
Internal Medicine - Rheumatology
In brief: Non-specific.
Despite all the pain \studies (brain scans, pet scans.
Fluids in the spinal cord, none are specific for fibromyalgia. They occur in all chronic pain states. Finally, in my practice, 2/3 of patients referred, have undiagnosed problems rather than firbomyalgia.

In brief: Non-specific.
Dr. Thomas Namey
Dr. Thomas Namey
Dr. Laurence Badgley
General Practice
In brief: Ignorance of data
The symptom constellation is diverse and heavily ladened with psychologic disarray, unhappiness, and outright depression.
Within the practice of medicine there is an unfortunate tendency to ascribe, to the mind, complex symptoms for which there are no tests of proof. "hypochondria" is nowadays a term little used, but the concept continues to shadow "fibromyalgia" in the minds of some doctors.

In brief: Ignorance of data
Dr. Laurence Badgley
Dr. Laurence Badgley
Dr. Laurence Badgley
The unifying genetic relationship in fibromyalgia is probably Joint Hypermobility Syndrome (JHS), a known genetic condition.  I have noted that a good portion of female fibromyalgia sufferers satisfy the Bristol Criteria for JHS, and are able to oppose thumb to lateral radial skin, hyperextended elbows and knees, and can place their palms on the floor with knees locked.  Most could put their feet behind their head and back bridge as youngsters and many can do so as adults.  JHS is a disorder with a spectrum of penetrance; with Marfans and Ehlers-Danlos at the clinical severity end of the spectrum.  My speculation is that the trait is conserved in females because it increases pelvic joint (SIJ and symphysis pubis) flexibility during childbirth.  Many of my patients with fibromyalgia and subclinical JHS delivered their fourth or fifth child in minutes rather than hours.  I speculate that repetitive childbirth, in conjunction with the hormone Relaxin, progressively loosens pelvic ligaments.  This functionality would seem to favor infant survivability.  To my mind fibromyalgia results from the effects of a loose ligament-skeletal system attempting to maintain a medial center of gravity via chronic muscle spasm leading to widespread ischemic trigger points (after the work of Shah at NIH).
Dr. Jay Rosenfeld
Physical & Rehabilitation Medicine
In brief: See below
The reason for this i think is that there are no blood tests, no xrays or mris or any other tests that can confirm this diagnosis.
Since it happens most often in women, most doctors think that it is just a physical expression of depression. While many people with depression have pain, i see many people with fibromyalgia who had no depressive symptoms prior to the onset of diffuse muscle pain.

In brief: See below
Dr. Jay Rosenfeld
Dr. Jay Rosenfeld
Dr. Andrew Berry
Clinical Psychology
In brief: Fibromyalgia
Ignorance, generally speaking.
Things that are not readily diagnosable, out of the western world medical mainstream, or that have gotten a great deal of press as a "vogue diagnosis" aggravate this tendency. It doe not make fibro any less real to the sufferer.

In brief: Fibromyalgia
Ignorance, generally speaking.
Dr. Andrew Berry
Dr. Andrew Berry
Dr. Adam Levy