Coronary CT angiogram shows extremely high calcium score of 4242 and ~ 70% blockage one artery. next step cath angio. Should I consider atherectomy?

Dr. Bennett Werner
Internal Medicine - Cardiology

In brief: NO

You need a coronary angiogram-depending what it shows, you may need revascularization.
Depending on location and extent, you may need surgery. Otherwise, balloon angioplasty followed by stenting is the treatment of choice. Atherectomy has a very limited and specific indication. If you need it, your interventionalist is the one to make the call.

In brief: NO

Dr. Bennett Werner
Dr. Bennett Werner
Dr. Melanie Mintzer

In brief: Angiogram

Coronary CT can demonstrate blockages in arteries, however, it cannot measure blood flow.
You can have good flow with a stable plaque in an artery that is 70% narrowed, and poor flow in one that appears less blocked but has plaque that is soft and likely to break off and cause a stroke or MI. You will get the info you need from your cardiologist after your angiographic study.

In brief: Angiogram

Dr. Melanie Mintzer
Dr. Melanie Mintzer
Dr. Ali Saberi

In brief: Cardiologist

I suggest you allow the interventional Cardiologist choose the appropriate treatment.
You def need a Cardiac Cath. During Cath a stent may be required, balloon angioplasty may be required, or referral for bypass.

In brief: Cardiologist

Dr. Ali Saberi
Dr. Ali Saberi
Dr. Bennett Werner
Yes! I totally agree!
Dr. Umesh Patel
Board Certified, Preventive Medicine