My doctor just asked 'what do I do if you die giving birth?' since I am single. How horrible is that?

Dr. George Klauber
Pediatrics - Urology
In brief: Horribly tactless
Part of history taking and registration is to enquire regarding about next of kin.
Doctor and/or hospital need to know whom to contact in case of an emergency and worst case scenario who will be responsible for the baby if the unmentionable happens to you. Is it possible that the doctor put it more tactfully and your interpretation aws as you stated? Good luck. Baby and you will do well.

In brief: Horribly tactless
Dr. George Klauber
Dr. George Klauber
In brief: Realism sucks
One of the worst things I ever went through was sending a baby home with a grandmother after the single mom died from complications of flu.
We took the baby as mom's lungs began to fail. As horrible as the thought can be it was common in the late 1800's and still happens today. If you haven't made those plans please do.It is one of many times when you will face uncomfortable decisions.

In brief: Realism sucks
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham