Can an overdose caused by taking to much Coumadin (warfarin) cause some kidney damage?

Dr. Jared Fialkow
Internal Medicine - Nephrology & Dialysis

In brief: Rarely

The biggest problem with an overdose of Coumadin (warfarin) is the blood being too thin and you being at high risk for bleeding.
There are a few cases (rarely) where patients have had hemorrhage (bleeding) in their kidneys from high Coumadin (warfarin) levels causing kidney damage.

In brief: Rarely

Dr. Jared Fialkow
Dr. Jared Fialkow
Dr. Steve Kagan
Surgery - Vascular

In brief: Not directly

Warfarin (generic name for coumadin) works by affecting the production of proteins in the liver. Overdosage can lead to bleeding - I am not aware of any direct renal toxicity of warfarin but would recommend doing some research online.

In brief: Not directly

Dr. Steve Kagan
Dr. Steve Kagan
Dr. Tonga Nfor
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Cardiology