Hit the center of proximal phalanx on my right pointer finger. Swollen knot, bruising & painful bending. Bruised or would raised knot mean fracture?

Dr. Jeffrey Wint
Surgery - Hand Surgery

In brief: Fractures can swell

either locally or diffusely.
A knot may mean there is a very bad bruise to skin or it could mean a fracture. A fracture in the finger can be nondislplaced meaning everyting moves well and is lined up so one does not necessarily have a great deformity, joint fractures or fractures in the plane of motion with swelling may not loo obvious except for pain and swelling. If symptoms persist, get seen

In brief: Fractures can swell

either locally or diffusely.
Dr. Jeffrey Wint
Dr. Jeffrey Wint
Dr. Andrea Rodgers
Emergency Medicine

In brief: X-Ray

The only way to rule out a fracture is an x-ray.
Swelling and pain can be a sign of either a bad bruise or fracture. I suggest seeing your doctor or going to an ER for evaluation. In the meantime, ice, elevation and immobilization of the affected joint, (try a popsicle stick and gauze), will help.

In brief: X-Ray

Dr. Andrea Rodgers
Dr. Andrea Rodgers
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine