Is jaw and cheek pain normal in an ear infection?

Can be. Ear infections can cause jaw and cheek pain, but infections of the teeth or sinuses can also cause ear pain. Tmj problems also frequently cause jaw, cheek, and ear pain. If you have not been examined it should be checked out.
Not rare. It is not rare but you need to see your doctor to make sure that this is really an ear infection and not an abscessed tooth or some sort of salivary gland infection instead.
Yes, but. Yes, but make sure it is an ear infection. I've seen may cases of "ear infection" with a normal ear and a TMJ problem. The TMJ is the most common cause of non ear caused ear pain. If the "ear infection" does not improve with treatment, see an oral surgeon to determine if you have a TMJ or jaw problem.