I have slightly raised potassium 5.5. I probably don't drink enough. If I drink it.s usually tea. Could this be the cause.

Dr. Marvin Ott
Emergency Medicine

In brief: Unlikely

There are two major causes of hyperkalemia (high potassium): kidney failure, and destruction of large sections of muscle (such as burns or crush injuries).
If your kidneys work normally, and you haven't been attacked by a building, the high potassium is most likely lab error from the blood cells being broken during the drawing process (hemolysis). See your doctor and have it redrawn.

In brief: Unlikely

Dr. Marvin Ott
Dr. Marvin Ott
Dr. Steven Seres