Breast cancer, 2 tumors, one 1.4x1.7, the other .5. Biopsy states IDC, ER+, PR- and HER2 neg. Ki67 score 50 Treatment mastectomy, chemo and tamoxifen. What are your thoughs on treatment??? Patient is 32 years old

Dr. Janice Alexander

In brief: Curative

At 32, you have a long life ahead of you.
By removing the breast with multiple tumors, you are saving yourself a lot of aggravation. There is nothing to keep a cancer from reoccurring in that breast! You did the right thing. Do not look back. You need to move forward! You are getting good treatment from your Provider!

In brief: Curative

Dr. Carrie Cannon

In brief: Appropriate

That is a young age to be diagnosed with breast cancer.
Fortunately, it was diagnosed and is ER+ which makes it easier to treat. The prescribed treatment sounds appropriate. I would also want to know BRCA I and II status and family history to see if a double mastectomy is warranted and if ovarian cancer is also a risk.

In brief: Appropriate

In brief: Treatment options

The long term outcomes for patients treated with lumpectomy vs.
mastectomy are equivalent for the same stage and type of cancer. Having two tumors in the same breast is not an absolute indication for mastectomy unless they are in different quadrants of breast. Chemo depends on pathologic tumor stage & other factors. Tamoxifen is ok. If postemenoupausal, there are other drugs for ER+ tumors

In brief: Treatment options

Dr. Dennis Higginbotham