I have sjogrens. I know dry eyes is a symptoms. But i'm getting styes and infections quite often.. That normal?

Dr. John Goldman
Internal Medicine - Rheumatology
In brief: May be related
Why do you have these is the question.
Your ophthalmologist can help clarify this and you need to have this done. It also depends what systems your sjogren's invovles and how it can be related to these.

In brief: May be related
Why do you have these is the question.
Dr. John Goldman
Dr. John Goldman
Dr. Theodore Wu
Ophthalmology
In brief: Sjogrens
Sjogrens syndrome is associated with dry eye and dry mouth.
Severe dry eye can be treated with artificial tears, such as theratears, ointments, such as refresh pm or genteal gel, a tear stimulating prescription eyedrop called restasis, and/or punctal plugs. Very dry eyes are more susceptible to infection since a healthy tear film protects the eye from infection.

In brief: Sjogrens
Dr. Theodore Wu
Dr. Theodore Wu
Dr. Jay Bradley
Ophthalmology - LASIK Surgery
In brief: Blepharitis
Your description sounds like you have blepharitis in addition to sjogren's.
This is very common. I would try artificial tears frequently during the day, ointment at night, warm compresses 1-2 times a day, and omega-3 fatty acid supplements. If no improvement, see an eye doctor.

In brief: Blepharitis
Dr. Jay Bradley
Dr. Jay Bradley
Dr. William Dieck
Ophthalmology
In brief: Possibly
Dry eye disease from sjögren's syndrome usually results from decrease production of the watery middle layer of the tear. Dysfunction of meibomian glands in the lid can result in evaporative dry eye with a poor oily (lipid layer) of the tear (slower evaporation) sticky/clogged meibomian glands tend to allow bacteria to grow and cause styes.
Google lipiflow. This is a possible treatment modality.

In brief: Possibly
Dr. William Dieck
Dr. William Dieck
Dr. Beth Friedland
Ophthalmology
In brief: Try fish oil supplem
You have less effective tears, but sometimes fish oil or increased omega 3 fatty acid supplementation will help balance the tears and reduce styes.
A low dose of Doxycycline 20-50 mg daily can also help.

In brief: Try fish oil supplem
Dr. Beth Friedland
Dr. Beth Friedland