Why do I need an epipen (epinephrine) for a peanut allergy if I never have had anaphylaxis?

Dr. Lee Perry
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology
In brief: Unpredictable
The primary reason is that you never know how severe future reactions can be.
Just because you've never had an anaphylactic reaction to peanut does not mean you never will. Please carry your epipen!

In brief: Unpredictable
Dr. Lee Perry
Dr. Lee Perry
Dr. Andrew Murphy
In brief: Safety
The manifestation of an allergic reaction to a particular food or other allergen is not predictable.
If one is diagnosed with food allergy, then it is known that severe reactions can occur particularly with peanuts, tree nuts and shellfish. Skin testing or blood testing for these allergens do not predict the clinical symptoms that can occur.

In brief: Safety
Dr. Andrew Murphy
Dr. Andrew Murphy
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine