Is there any way to prevent getting an ovarian cyst?

Healthy diet. A healthy diet is likely to prevent ovarian systs, though there is little research to support it. Common advice is to avoid sugar and simple carbs, emphasize fruits & vegies, esp. Dark leafy greens, & minimize meats, dairy, &eggs, esp. If not organic (to avoid hormones & antibiotics in meats). Some advise an alkaline diet & foods rich in phytoestrogens. See my comments for more information & links:.
Ovarian follicles. Many ovarian follicles or cysts are normal. This is where a egg is released from during ovulation. A follicle needs to grow to about 2 CM for a mature egg to be released. Sometimes a cyst can burst or bleed and this may cause sudden onset of pain.