How can I transition from breast milk to formula?

For most people... ...The question is moot -- they either stop lactating, or start a medication that is incompatible with breast feeding, and go straight to formula. Abrupt change does not seem to be any worse than any gradual change, as far as chances of formula causing a reaction. Breast is best, of course, but when you have to stop, there is no problem if you stop at once.
Some fast, some slow. Some children transition very easily from breast milk to formula. Others need a little "persuasion." once their used to drinking breast milk from a bottle or cup, replace a little of the breast milk with formula, slowly increasing the formula and decreasing the breast milk over days/weeks. Sort of "sneaking" the taste of it in on them. Usually works if you don't go too fast.