What might be the causes of breast pain?

Many things... ...Some serious, some not. Breast pain by itself is rarely a sign of breast cancer. Still, i usually recommend an exam and assessment unless the pain goes away and stays away.
Fibrocystic changes. You could have fibrocystic changes. This is the most common cause of breast pain. It can be aggravated by caffeine, stress, menstrual cycle and hormonal supplements. If you are over 40, then you should have a mammogram and ultrasound. Please get evaluated by a breast specialist.
Mastalgia. Causes of breast pain can include cysts, prior surgery, trauma, medications (oral contraceptives, infertility tx, ssri's), large breast size, premenstrual syndrome, ovulation, period ; pregnancy. Your dr can help determine the cause.