The past two months my left ankle swells up after drinking beer. I also have varicose veins in my left calf. does one have to do with the other?

Dr. John Landi
Phlebology

In brief: V V's and beer

Varicose veins may lead to ankle swelling but I doubt that drinking beer has anything to do with the ankle swelling.
See a vein specialist for an evaluation.

In brief: V V's and beer

Dr. Joel Gotvald
Surgery - Vascular

In brief: Possibly

Patients with varicose veins have venous hypertension buildup inside their leg veins which often leads to accumulation of tissue fluid around the ankle on the affected side.
When you drink fluids, even more fluid will accumulate in the tissues abnormally. Unless the varicose veins & venous hypertension is fixed, the condition tends to worsen with time. Seek opinion from a vascular surgeon.

In brief: Possibly

In brief: It may

Alcohol consumption leads to dehydration which may lead to water retention in the body and hence swelling of the feet and ankle.
Not sure how much beer you are drinking, but may want to decrease consumption.

In brief: It may

Dr. Thomas Knecht
Asymmetrical swelling and varicose veins can also raise the possibility of a blood clot in the veins somewhere in the affected leg (left, in your case). You should probably see your doctor. I can't see how the beer would lead to the asymmetry you describe. I would look elsewhere for a cause. Needless to say, don't be an alcoholic. Good luck!
Dr. Tonga Nfor
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Cardiology