My husband and I just received news that we both have beta Thalassemia. He is Caucasian and I'm Indian. What are the chances of our child getting this?

Dr. Marvin Ott
Emergency Medicine

In brief: Depends

Thalassemia is autosomal recessive.
That means that you only get the disease if you have the gene on both of your chromosome pairs. If you and your husband both have the actual disease, there is a 100% chance your children will have it. If you both have trait (one normal and one disease gene), there is a 25% chance they will have it, and a 50% chance they will be a carrier. I have attached a pic.

In brief: Depends

Thalassemia is autosomal recessive.
Dr. Shontae Buffington