What are the most common side effects of meloxicam, and how does this drug work?

Dr. Thomas Namey
Internal Medicine - Rheumatology
In brief: Not major in most!
Meloxicam 15mg is one of my favorite nsaids.
24hr duration, (best taken at supper), and is one of the least likely to cause GI upset, which it can, but compared to Ibuprofen and others. $10 for 3 mo supply at kroger's, walmart, costco, target, and others. Can cause fluid retention in some, an increased bp, and in people with marginal reanl function, a further deterioration. Still, very safe.

In brief: Not major in most!
Dr. Thomas Namey
Dr. Thomas Namey
Dr. Ronald Krauser
Internal Medicine - Rheumatology
In brief: See details
Common side effects are GI irritation, high blood pressure, kidney disease and an increased risk for cardiac events.
Nsaids work by inhibiting cyclooxygenase, a substance produced in the body which can cause inflammation.

In brief: See details
Dr. Ronald Krauser
Dr. Ronald Krauser
2 comments
Dr. Thomas Namey
Thanks for not agreeing with me. You essentially added nothing, except poits for yourself. Shame!
Dr. Thomas Namey
The cardiac event issue is subject for debate. Most people with chronic NSAID use have inflammation, or at least a major proportion. That means an increase in CRP. Well demonstrated that inflammatory arthritis increase atherogenesis! Are you a clone of Nisson?
Dr. Vikram Patel