I'm young, but I often have breast tenderness. What could cause that?

Dr. Kenneth Adler
In brief: Pre-period hormones
Breast tenderness is common before periods.
It is especially common in women who have premenstrual syndrome or fibrocystic breasts. Cancer is unlikely to cause pain and if cancer does cause pain it is very unlikely to come and go in a cyclic pattern.

In brief: Pre-period hormones
Dr. Kenneth Adler
Dr. Kenneth Adler
Dr. Regina Hampton
Breast Surgery
In brief: Fibrocystic changes
You could have fibrocystic changes.
This is the most common cause of breast pain. It can be aggravated by caffeine, stress, menstrual cycle and hormonal supplements. If you are over 40, then you should have a mammogram and ultrasound. Please get evaluated by a breast specialist.

In brief: Fibrocystic changes
You could have fibrocystic changes.
Dr. Regina Hampton
Dr. Regina Hampton
Dr. Jane Van Dis