They drink too much. Whats the importance of knowing the symptoms of alcoholism?

Decisions. I am sure you would agree that knowledge is a good thing, right? So the more a person knows about themselves and the problems they may or may not have, the better they can decide what they want to do about it. Life's about choices and the more information we have, the better our insight and judgement. A person may decide to make changes if they have a good enough reason.
Consequences. Alcoholism comes in many forms. You don't have to drink daily and daily drinking of 1-2 drinks doesn't make an alcoholic. Alcohol is a problem if it causes harm to the person, their relationships or physical or mental health. This could be daily use of more than 4 standard drinks or occational binging that results in ulcers, dui, fights or mental health problems.