The brittle bones disease runs in the family. So how can I prevent it happening to me when I get to be in my 20s?

Dr. Ahmad M Hadied
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: Let me help

Oi is caused by a genetic defect.
Overall, any person with oi has a 50% chance of passing the disease to his or her children. Through genetic counseling, oi can be prevented from being passed from one generation to another.Problems related to oi can be reduced or prevented by a healthy lifestyle with exercise and good nutrition. Avoid smoking and excessive alcohol consumption, which may weaken bon.

In brief: Let me help

Oi is caused by a genetic defect.
Dr. Ahmad M Hadied
Dr. Ahmad M Hadied

In brief: Get tested

By your 20's you either have it or not, it doesn't just catch up with you like a delayed infection.
The worst forms are often fatal prior to or soon after birth. Other forms have variable delay in features. If concerned, seek out the medical genetics department of a teaching or children's hospital. They can test you for any genetic markers & tell your risk or risk of passing it on.

In brief: Get tested

Dr. Jonathan Jassey