My mouth hurts really bad from the tightening of my braces. Can I apply beeswax to ease the pain?

Dr. David Schleimer
Dentistry - Orthodontics

In brief: Depends

Wax will not help you from the discomfort of tightening the appliance (usually not tightening, but a larger size wire is placed).
Ask your orthodontist if they use the new thermally active orthodontic wires: they typically get softer when cold, and stiffer when hot. If they do use them, drink ice water, just sips throughout the day, and it will soften the wires and perhaps hurt less.

In brief: Depends

Dr. David Schleimer
Dr. David Schleimer
Dr. Brent Mcfarland
Dentistry - Orthodontics

In brief: YES

One of several positives.

In brief: YES

One of several positives.
Dr. Brent Mcfarland
Dr. Brent Mcfarland
Dr. Shawn Murray
Dentistry

In brief: Braces

If the pain is a result of the braces rubbing your lips and cheeks then yes bees wax will work or sugar free gum to cover the areas that are rubbing.
If the teeth are sore take advil or tylenol (acetaminophen) as indicated on the bottle.

In brief: Braces

Dr. Shawn Murray
Dr. Shawn Murray
Dr. Anna Guarna
Dentistry

In brief: Don'te understand?

I don't understand your question.
..Mouth will hurt for a couple of days after an orthodontic adjustment...This is normal. Beeswax is only used if a bracket or wire is sharp and pinching/cutting into tissues (cheek, lip).

In brief: Don'te understand?

I don't understand your question.
Dr. Anna Guarna
Dr. Anna Guarna
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine