During self breast exam I note my areolas feel lumpy beneath the skin. Some lumps larger and firmer than others. Are lumps meant to be there?

Normal findings... The breast tissue usually feels "lumpy" because of the mammary glands which give them that quality. However, if you have felt a hard lump or larger than usual that persists for several days or more it is time to have that checked with your doctor. Also if you have skin changes on your breast area, fluid coming out of your nipples or changes in your nipple appearance you need immediate evaluation.