Is a thrombus in the carotid life threatening?

Dr. Shadi Abu Halimah
Surgery - Vascular
In brief: Yes it can
If the the thrombus is causing complete blockage of the carotid artery then you are safe , but if the thrombus is partially obstructing the lumen of the artery then the patient is at high risk of developing strokes.
You must talk to your vascular surgeon.

In brief: Yes it can
You must talk to your vascular surgeon.
Dr. Shadi Abu Halimah
Dr. Shadi Abu Halimah
Dr. William Davis
Surgery - Vascular
Thrombus is clot.
Most carotid disease is detected as plaque thickening the wall of the artery, and if severe can send small emboli (clots) to the brain causing a stroke or ministroke.The only frank carotid thrombosis I have seen was one day after endarterectomy, eating breakfast one minute, not talking the next. Prompt re-operation brought her back to full function, no deficits.

Thrombus is clot.
Dr. William Davis
Dr. William Davis